Graduate PhD studies are organized jointly by the Faculty of Electronics and Information Technology (EWUT), Faculty of Mechatronics (MWUT) and the Faculty of Physics (PWUT). The duration of the study is 4 years in which each student pursues an individual study programme (approved by the student’s advisor).
The Faculty of Mechatronics is the most interdisciplinary faculty at WUT (Warsaw University of Technology).The term Mechatronics signifies a synergic cooperation between precision mechanics, optics, electronics, automation control, information technology and thinking in terms of systems.
At faculty we conduct studies in the area of micromechanics, photonics, nanotechnology, automatic control and robotics, technology of electronic devices as well as metrology and measurement systems. We also deal with multimedia technology and biomedical engineering. At the same time, as far as all abovementioned fields are concerned, we are in the national top, and in most of the areas we are respected at the international arena. A great honor of the faculty, as well as a reflection of its interdisciplinary character, is the fact of being authorized to confer a degree of a doctor in 3 technical scientific disciplines: Control and Robotics, Machine Design and Maintenance, Biocybernetics Biomedical Engineering.
A broad spectrum of the scientific research carried out at the Faculty results in the fact that we educate students within many specializations under a three-level system of studies, starting with BSc studies, to MSc studies, to doctoral courses. We are the faculty of unflagging interest among youth. Each year we enroll approximately 220 students for studies in Polish language.
The Faculty consists of three institutes:
|Faculty of Physics is one of the two youngest faculties at the Warsaw University of Technology which emerged from the former Faculty of Technical Physics and Applied Mathematics and continue its tradition. At present, at the Faculty there are 448 students at the undergraduate and graduate level and 75 Ph.D. students. The academic staff consists of 57 assistant and associate professors and 20 professors.
The Faculty of Physics offers studies in Applied Physics . The students can choose one of three specializations: Computer Physics, Optoelectronics or Solid State Physics. Usually, a 3.5-year (7 semesters) course leads to the Engineer degree, followed by 1.5-year (3 semesters) course which leads to the M.Sc. degree in Applied Physics. The lectures ale supplemented with practical exercises in numerous student and research laboratories in the area of physics, electronics, computer systems for control and measurement etc. At higher semesters, the students are able to create personalized study programmes adapted to their interests.
The studies in the Faculty of Physics prepare physicists with deep fundamental knowledge and good command of technical issues and computer science. The graduates from our Faculty are able to apply both experimental and theoretical methods of physics to solve problems arising in modern technology as well as in medicine, economy and sociology. The versatile education which they have obtained enables them to develop and acquire new abilities on their own, and to adjust easily to the rapid changes on today`s job market.
The Faculty of Physics was established in 1999, however the tradition of physics at the Warsaw University of Technology (WUT) is 100-years old. The first formal Chair of Physics was created in 1919 and the independent Chairs existed up to 1965 when the Institute of Physics was founded. Ten years later this Institute and the Institute of Mathematics formed together the Faculty of Applied Physics and Mathematics, which existed up to 1999.
The Faculty of Physics is located in the historical Building of Physics in Koszykowa 75 Street in the Central Campus of the University. The construction of this Building, where the first physics lectures were given by prof. Wiktor Biernacki, took place in 1899-1901. Part of the Faculty is situated in the Building of Mechatronics (Chodkiewicza 8 St, Southern Campus).
Among distinguished scientists who developed physics at this University were:
The outstanding scientist, from Chemistry Department of our University, who influenced much development of solid state physics was prof. Jan Czochralski (1885-1953) – founder of ingenious method of crystal growth. In 1928 he was awarded a doctor honoris causa title of Warsaw Universitity of Technology.
Currently the Faculty of Physics employs 77 academic teachers, among them 20 professors. The Council of the Faculty has the authority to confer PhD („doktor”) and DSc. („doktor habilitowany”) degrees in physics. In the term 2005/2008 there are 48 members of this Council. The Chairman of the Council is prof. Rajmund Bacewicz – dean of the Faculty. In the academic year 2005/2006 there was 448 students at the Faculty.
Technological progress keeps triggering off changes in the structure of the Warsaw University of Technology and official names given to particular faculties. Here is an overview of the history of our Faculty of Electronics and Information Technology:
October 1st 1951 – The Faculty of Communication is separated from the Faculty of Electrics The Faculty of Communication incorporates two divisions:
The Faculty of Communication was named after the content of subjects taught to ca. 800 students who specialised in:
The above described structural changes were accompanied by introduction of one integrated Master`s degree course spread over five and a half years. In 1964 an important event in the history of the faculty took place – the Faculty of Communication moved to an especially constructed new building, nowadays this building bears the name of Professor Janusz Groszkowski. At the beginning of the academic year 1966/67 the master”s degree course was shortened to 5 years’ period while a new system of specialisations was introduced:
Starting from September 1st 1966 the Faculty was re-named to become the Faculty of Electronics. In 1967 the number of students exceeded 2500, to reach the number of 3000 in 1996. In 1970 the Faculty underwent consecutive modifications to the structure. 6 institutes were founded:
At the beginning of the seventies the authorities of the Faculty started introducing modifications to the system and plan of studies as well as to the curricula. The changes were supposed to modernise the content of education programs and increase student’s freedom in designing their individual programs of study. Optional and extraordinary lectures on specific problems appeared, the length of studies was shortened down to 4 and a half years. Aside from Electronics two new programs: Telecommunications and Information Technology opened; 1-year extramural qualification studies started to be offered as well. Between 1988 and 1995 reforms in the Faculty accelerated. It became necessary to adjust the system of studies and curricula to the world’s academic standards, it was then especially important to give students the possibility to individualise their programs of study, to enrich the program offer according to the dynamic development in the field of electronics, information technology and telecommunications in the world and to the needs of the national market. As a result of intensive analytical, conceptual and implementation works it was decided to divide the process of studying such areas as Information Technology, Automatics and Robotics, Electronics and Telecommunication into two consecutive stages: undergraduate course, and Master’s degree course The system of education became more flexible to allow a lot more individualization in relation to the mode and program of studies taking account of particular interests and talents of individual students. As the scope of educational and scientific works entrusted to the Faculty evolved in 1994 it was given a more appropriate name – The Faculty of Electronics and Information Technology. Starting from the academic year 1994/95 a more flexible system of undergraduate studies was introduced. In 1997 the same changes were applied to Master’s degree course with a program including advanced core and specialised subjects. The offer for students included special lectures covering particular areas of competence of research teams working for the Faculty.
The mode and programs of study as well as curricula applied by the Faculty of Electronics and Information Technology are subject to constant modernisation in the light of regular analysis of current demand on national market, world progress in particular areas of specialisation, experience gained by eminent universities in the world. Graduates from our Faculty are very much appreciated as specialists, well recognised both in Poland and abroad – also in the most economically developed countries.