From the calendar
- 1953 – establishing under Professor Jan Matysiak’s leadership the Chair of Optics at the Department of Precision Engineering of the Faculty of Technology, Warsaw University of Technology
- 1955 – the first graduation of engineers at the specialization Optical Instruments
- 1956 – the first graduation of masters at the specialization Optical Instruments
- 1961 – change of the name the Chair of Optics into Chair of Optical Instruments (since 1962 at the Faculty of Precision Mechanics)
- 1970 – change the name of our organizational unit to the Division of Optical Instruments Design (DoID)
- 1991 – transformation of DoID into Optical Engineering Division (OED) (since 1996 at the Faculty of Mechatronics)
- 2008 – change the name of OED to the Photonics Engineering Division (PED)
- 2013 – new division created from part of PED – Virtual Reality Techniques Division
Between 1953 – 2015 the name of our academic teaching specialization had been changed three times. The changes had followed the progress and new trends in Optics and Photonics Science and Technology.
- 1953 – Optical Instruments
- 1989 – Optical Devices and Systems
- 1996 – Photonic Engineering
During this time, more than 700 students had been graduated (Engs and MScs) 40 persons had been awarded with PhD degree under the supervision of our professors.
Scientific researches have been often carried out in collaboration with leading research centers from around the world and with several industrial partners. We had participted in more than 10 EU founded projects and several tens of national research and industrial projects. . Our professors have been awarded several distinctions (three of them are SPIE Fellow, one- OSA Fellow). The group itself has the very strong international position in the field of full-field optical methods of measurement and control and development of advanced optical instrumenattion and systems.
The meetings of Optics and Photonics Graduates are organized every 10 years. The last one took place on 19st of September 2015.
prof. dr hab. inż. Jan Matysiak (1953-1973)
prof. dr hab. inż. Romuald Jóźwicki (1973-1986)
prof. dr hab. inż. Krzysztof Patorski (1990-1997)
prof. dr hab. inż. Małgorzata Kujawińska (od 1997)